The Board of Trustees have adopted a formal Statement of Investment Policies and Procedures to help determine the pension fund’s asset mix and guide investment decisions. It is this prudent investment strategy, developed and implemented with the help of professional advisers that helps us steer clear of high-risk investments such as sub-prime mortgages and asset-backed commercial paper.
To implement the plan’s investment strategy the Board:
- Uses a formal selection process to choose the fund’s professional investment managers, and
- Employs a professional asset consultant to oversee the entire process and provide quarterly reports on investment performance.
Size matters and as the pension fund gets larger the Board can use more advanced investment strategies to improve the likelihood of better returns. One of these strategies is to hire investment managers with more specialized knowledge and experience. The Board of Trustees have approved agreements with the following six specialty investment managers:
- AGF Investments Inc.
- Baillie Gifford
- CIBC Global Asset Management
- Fengate Capital Management
- Fiera Sceptre Inc.
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP
- Sionna Investment Managers