Skip to Main Content

About Your SUB plan and What Your SUB Plan Provides

The SUB Plan gives you added income – on top of any eligible EI benefits you may qualify for. SUB Plan benefits are paid in addition to your EI benefits and are taxable. Your SUB Plan benefits are calculated based on a formula that considers your EI benefits. The current maximum for SUB Plan benefits is $150 a week. SUB Plan benefits are currently payable for up to 35 weeks. How much you receive – and for how long – depends partly on how much money is in the SUB Plan trust fund and partly on how many IBEW Local 353 members are eligible for SUB Plan benefits when you apply. To learn more about your SUB Plan read your SUB Plan booklet.

You May Be Eligible For SUB Plan Benefits If All The Following Apply:

  1. Your employer pays contributions to the SUB fund for you;
  2. You’re laid off because of shortage of work, attending trade school, or are on an eligible leave under the Employment Insurance Act (excluding EI Sick Benefits)
  3. You make a claim for EI Benefits;
  4. You have worked for contributing employers for at least 1800 hours in the last 24 months (to initiate your first claim); and
  5. You’re registered as out of work, temporary layoff, trade school, maternity leave, parental leave, family caregiver leave, or compassionate care leave at the union hall.

Getting Started

Here are three easy steps to apply for benefits to replace your income:

  1. Immediately contact the IBEW Local 353 Union Hall Dispatch at 416-510-3530 and inform them of your change in employment status.
  2. Apply for EI offered by the Federal Government. Visit the Government of Canada’s website to see if you’re eligible here:
  3. Apply for Supplementary Unemployment Benefits (SUB) by completing and submitting the SUB plan claim form (available on the secure side of the IBEW Local 353’s website, directly from the Union Hall or on to along with your EI Payment Details.

Always apply for EI benefits as soon as you stop working. You can apply for benefits even if you haven’t received your record of employment (ROE). If you delay filing your claim for benefits , you may lose benefits, as the Federal Government has specific rules dealing with the timely filing of claims.

Remember: if you do receive SUB benefits, you don’t claim SUB Plan benefits as earnings to Service Canada. The SUB Plan is registered with Service Canada, and SUB payments for a registered plan aren’t considered insurable earnings. This means SUB payments are not offset from your EI payments.

SUB Benefits are taxable, and you will receive a T4A slip for any SUB benefits paid to you.

Review your SUB Plan booklet here and login in to for more details.